About Community Middle
A Brief History of Community Middle School
Community Middle School is a public school which serves grades 6-8. Community School originally was built in 1925 to accommodate those children who finished the eighth grade at the ten elementary schools in the area: Rover, Haynes, Longview, Green Hill, Taylor's Cross Roads, Cedar Grove, Unionville, Fall's Creek, Poplin's Cross Roads, and Ray's Chapel. A brick building was constructed in 1939, with additions in 1946, 1954, 1955, 1964, and 1975.
In 1997, grades 7-12 moved into a newly constructed building on the 3470 Highway 41A North campus. Community School shared a cafeteria with Community Elementary but were otherwise separate schools. Due to overcrowding, portable classrooms were added over time since the 1997 construction.
In the fall of 2009, grades 9-12 moved into the new Community High School located at 1140 Unionville-Deason Road. The building at 3470 Highway 41A North now houses grades 6-8 as Community Middle School. Community High School continues to use outdoor athletic facilities located on the Community Middle School campus.
Beginning as a small unit school in 1925, Community is now a complex of three separate schools serving northern Bedford County.